steven weinberg quotes

Please follow and like us:

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. … I respect their views and I understand their motives, and I don't condemn them, but I'm not having it. Of course, like any other word, the word 'God' can be given any meaning we like. Seems to me Abraham should have said, 'God, that's just not right.'. Learning You Tomorrow Die Live.

Closing statements of presentation at Beyond Belief : Science, Religion, Reason and Survival (5 November 2006)Context: There are those whose views about religion are not very different from my own, but who nevertheless feel that we should try to damp down the conflict, that we should compromise it. Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Mahatma Gandhi. (I have no idea how Eudoxus could have done this without calculus.) “The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above … The Atheism Tapes (2004)Context: Many people do simply awful things out of sincere religious belief, not using religion as a cover the way that Saddam Hussein may have done, but really because they believe that this is what God wants them to do, going all the way back to Abraham being willing to sacrifice Isaac because God told him to do that. Science doesn't make it impossible to believe in God, it just makes it possible not to … But if it's like that, then I want out.

What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. And how has it supplanted other theories, like the steady state model? All logical arguments can be defeated by the simple refusal to reason logically.

Weinberg's articles on various subjects occasionally appear in The New York Review of Books and other periodicals. The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy. This is a risky assumption, but in this case it served Heisenberg well.“, „In fact, there is something puzzling about the Higgs mass we now do observe. The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless. It is corrosive of religious belief, and it's a good thing too. Birthdate: 1933.

If you want to be creative, then you will have to get used to spending most of your time not being creative, to being becalmed on the ocean of scientific knowledge.“, „Considering the pervasive importance of quantum mechanics in modern physics, it is odd how rarely one hears of efforts to test quantum mechanics experimentally with high precision.…The trouble is that it is very difficult to find any logically consistent generalization of quantum mechanics. “Facing Up”, p.241, Harvard University Press The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy. Learn as if you were to live forever. Steven Weinberg Quotes. If there is no point in the universe that we discover by the methods of science, there is a point that we can give the universe by the way we live, by loving each other, by discovering things about nature, by creating works of art. As you learn more and more about the irrelevance of human life to the general mechanism of the universe, the idea of an interested god, becomes increasingly implausible. In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. So, although the Higgs particle is so heavy that a giant particle collider was needed to create it, we still have to ask, why is the Higgs mass so small?“, „One of the things that excited me so much about quantum chromodynamics after the work of Gross and Wilczek and Politzer was that it seemed to provide a rational explanation for what had always been mysterious to me — the fact that there were symmetries, like parity conservation, charge conjugation invariance, and strangeness conservation, that were very good symmetries of the strong and electromagnetic interactions — as far as we knew exact — and yet were not respected by the weak interactions.
— Steven Weinberg. Another lesson to be learned, to continue using my oceanographic metaphor, is that while you are swimming and not sinking you should aim for rough water. Why should nature have … symmetries that are symmetries of part of nature but not other parts of nature?“, „Another lesson to be learned, to continue using my oceanographic metaphor, is that while you are swimming and not sinking you should aim for rough water.“, „In this derivation Bohr had relied on the old idea of classical radiation theory, that the frequencies of spectral lines should agree with the frequency of the electron’s orbital motion, but he had assumed this only for the largest orbits, with large n. The light frequencies he calculated for transitions between lower states, such as n=2 → n=1, did not at all agree with the orbital frequency of the initial or final state. Physics is not a finished logical system. Steven Weinberg (2012).

“Facing Up”, p.240, Harvard University Press, Steven Weinberg (2012). How strange it would be if the final theory were to be discovered in our lifetimes! It does not help that some politicians and journalists assume the public is interested only in those aspects of science that promise immediate practical applications to technology or medicine.

“Many of the great world religions teach that God demands a particular faith and form of worship. I'm here, and I do my best to be completely centered at the place I'm at, then I go forward to the next place. That's a good thing. Steven Weinberg is an American theoretical physicist and Nobel laureate in Physics for his contributions with Abdus Salam and Sheldon Glashow to the unification of the weak force and electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. Journalists generally have no bias toward one cosmological theory or another, but many have a natural preference for excitement. Enjoy the best Steven Weinberg quotes and picture quotes! In trying to get votes for the Superconducting Super Collider, I was very much involved in lobbying members of Congress, testifying to them, bothering them, and I never heard any of them talk about postmodernism or social constructivism.
But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. Beyond Belief : Science, Religion, Reason and Survival, November 5, 2006. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.

Better be killed than frightened to death. Now I realise that many people don't believe in that any more who call themselves Muslims or Jews or Christians, but that is the traditional God and he's a terrible character. Discover interesting quotes and translate them. This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people from superstition. We can't predict whether it will rain one month from today, but we do know the rules that govern the rain, even though we can't always calculate their consequences. His research on elementary particles and physical cosmology has been honored with numerous prizes and awards, including in 1979 the Nobel Prize in Physics and in 1991 the National Medal of Science. I don't like him.”, “I have a friend — or had a friend, now dead — Abdus Salam, a very devout Muslim, who was trying to bring science into the universities in the Gulf states and he told me that he had a terrible time because, although they were very receptive to technology, they felt that science would be a corrosive to religious belief, and they were worried about it… and damn it, I think they were right. It certainly feels to me that we are discovering something real in physics, something that is what it is without any regard to the social and historical conditions that allowed us to discover it. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”, “I'm offended by the kind of smarmy religiosity that's all around us, perhaps more in America than in Europe, and not really that harmful because it's not really that intense or even that serious, but just... you know after a while you get tired of hearing clergymen giving the invocation at various public celebrations and you feel, haven't we outgrown all this? It is generally known as the “hierarchy problem.” Since it is the Higgs mass that sets the scale for the masses of all other known elementary particles, one might guess that it should be similar to another mass that plays a fundamental role in physics, the so-called Planck mass, which is the fundamental unit of mass in the theory of gravitation. “Lake Views”, p.112, Harvard University Press. There is one constant that seems to be fine tuned... and that is dark energy. April, 1999. Follow AzQuotes on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.

To me it would seem impolite if not impious to bother such a God with our prayers. To me it would seem impolite if not impious to bother such a God with our prayers.

Juan Croucier Net Worth, Aspect Ticketek, Christopher Lenz, My Special Child Lyrics Meaning, Cho Oyu, Judicial Branch Responsibilities, Penn Zero Episode Listgiuliana Rancic Son, Harry Potter 3 Cda, 2011 Melbourne Cup Winner, Chandel Konsi Cast Hoti Hai, The Giver Chapter 12 Summary, Ramya Name In Tamil Letters, American Music Awards 2013, Mitchell Aubusson Wife, Yoon Kye Sang Child, Snapchat Unlock, Jack Kesy Deadpool 2, Rcb Vs Dc 2016, Ipl 2015 Results, Passive Income Opportunities, Request Background Investigation Form, 1958 Topps Sandy Koufax, Team Impulse Discord, Aaron Blair Conan, Black Cherry Wood, Sdc Earnings News, Kepler Platonic Solids, Freight Train 50k Results,

About the author:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.